CABVI is seeking an Orientation and Mobility Specialist to teach safe and effective orientation and mobility skills which enable consumers who are blind and visually impaired to achieve their highest level of functioning.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- Effectively teaches orientation and mobility in a timely manner including: indoor mobility, cane skills, outdoor travel, self-protective techniques and sighted guide. Instruction also includes body and environmental concepts and low vision related services.
- Conducts comprehensive orientation and mobility evaluations and assessments; develops and implements personalized lesson plans.
- Completes all required documentation in a timely manner.
- Develops weekly schedules to achieve hourly expectations with a cost effective approach.
- Consults, refers and networks with primary care givers, CBVH/VESID personnel, associated professionals and CABVI staff.
- Conducts community presentations and represents CABVI at meetings as assigned by supervisor.
- Conducts programs and assist staff with the Adaptive Sports and Recreation Program including Camp Abilities.
- Provide follow-up at campers school districts as it relates to adaptive physical education.
- Adapts to change and completes other duties as assigned.
Must have ability to effectively present information, and respond to questions from consumers, professionals and the general public. Must have ability to give explicit visual cues according to the consumer’s visual status and develop the consumer’s confidence. Requires excellent listening skills.
General computer knowledge helpful. Must be knowledgeable in Grade 1 Braille, map development and reading, orthopedic prosthetic and cane techniques. Must have excellent knowledge regarding adaptive equipment and low vision aids.
Frequently required to talk or hear. Must have stamina for indoor/outdoor travel training. Occasionally must lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform key job elements.
Extensive travel required. Instruction may occur in a variety of environments including consumer’s home or school, CABVI, or the community.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in Orientation and Mobility Teaching from accredited college or university; AER certified preferred and/or AER certifiable. Experience preferred. Must meet CBVH contractual personnel standards.
To apply to this position please fill out our job application form, equal employment opportunity form, and upload your resume by clicking the link below:
CABVI is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Qualified applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data or any other legally protected status.