CABVI is seeking an Ophthalmic Technician to manage CABVI’s optical services and to provide clinical assistance to the CABVI Low Vision Center by collecting & documenting patients’ medical and ophthalmic data while maintaining outstanding customer service. This position will also assist the Low Vision Optometrist on the exam day(s).
KEY JOB ELEMENTS
- Obtain concise, complete ocular medical history. Complete low vision pre-evaluations. Conduct brief external exam to understand and recognize normal and abnormal findings and record with the preliminary work up.
- Under the direction of the Low Vision Specialist, complete pretesting and ancillary testing on patients. Understand the purpose and procedure for each test performed to explain the testing to the patient and record results accurately. Print test results and ensure completeness of low vision consumer chart.
- Work as medical assistant to our optometry staff providing patient support, organizing and maintaining the medical records and working as a scribe for the doctor. Process and facilitate patient requests for copies of medical records. Maintain open and professional communication with all low vision staff as well as patients.
- Maintain exam rooms to include keeping all exam rooms properly stocked and examination equipment appropriately cleaned. Report and monitor equipment repair needs, including routine maintenance and periodic equipment calibration; provide training to other Rehabilitation staff as needed.
- Review OD prescriptions and orders based on medical charts. Operate the lensometer and other tools to ensure proper fittings, Measure for and fit patients for eyeglasses. Facilitate the process of securing lens including assisting patients with frame and lens selection. Provide contact lens education. Provide honest feedback to patients regarding aesthetic and functionality of prescription choices.
- Develop relationships with eyeglass vendors and lens labs to ensure diversity of product, best pricing and quality product. Achieve goals and quotas as determined by management staff while to patients specific needs and desires.
- Manage the optical shop including inventory, sales and promotional events. Ensure effective marketing, attractive displays and premium optical shop appearance. Utilize Macola to track inventory and sales, generate Macola management reports as needed.
- Maintain a good understanding insurance billing as it pertains to reimbursement of exams, lens, and other related equipment. Accurately compile submit billing forms to the CABVI business office. Interact as needed with our billing company to ensure maximum revenue secured.
- Provide customer service support to the entire Rehabilitation Department, as it pertains to low vision exams, including responding to referrals, answering telephones, scheduling, filing, copying, collating and disbursement of incoming mail, outreach, contract documentation, new program development, and any other areas as assigned.
- Dispense adaptive equipment and low vision aids and equipment to staff and consumers as directed.
- Schedule low vison appointments, including follow up to ensure patient was seen and a report was received.
- Submit and track prior authorizations. Assist with completion of forms and letters. Prepare correspondence, reports and low vision exam findings and forward to the referring doctor and/or patients primary eye care provider
- Provide patient education and follow up instructions as prescribed by the doctor. Provide a high level of customer service. Demonstrate above average communication skills.
- Work with the Director of Rehab Clinical services and Low Vision Specialist to conduct special promotional events. Engage with CABVI marketing and PR department as needed regarding the optical department.
- Adapts to change and completes other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Must have excellent listening skills and the ability to effectively respond to a variety of customer service demands. Must have ability to effectively communicate and obtain information from staff. Must have a positive attitude.
Must have good manual dexterity, eye hand coordination, and precision to work with a variety of optical equipment. Frequently required to talk or hear. Frequently required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop and kneel. Required to engage in physical rehabilitation activities. May require lifting up to 40 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the key job elements.
In-house position. Occasionally exposed to mechanical parts. Noise level is moderate. Occasionally, may be required to travel to off-site low vision clinics.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or equivalent required. Associates degree or equivalent with at least two years of related experience preferred. Previous retail experience preferred, but not required.
CABVI is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Qualified applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data or any other legally protected status.
Interested candidates please send completed resumes and applications to:
507 Kent Street
Utica, NY 13501
Attention: Julie Byrne