CABVI is seeking a Rehabilitation Manager for our Watertown area location. This position will be responsible for managing all services provided in CABVI’s Northern NY Community, including Lewis, Jefferson and St. Lawrence Counties. This position will maintain an active and growing presence in the Watertown Community as well as manage all services provided on CABVI’s Western Region, including Syracuse and Onondaga County.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS
- VR, County programs, school contracts and other new opportunities for funding. Provides specialized rehabilitation teaching and/or orientation and mobility services to adults and children who are blind and visually impaired, enabling them to achieve their highest level of functioning.
- Markets agency programs and services; maintains a presence in the local rehabilitation and medical community. Partners with NYSCB, other blindness agencies and the VA to ensure consumers receive the needed services. Works closely with the PR/Rehab Committee to ensure marketing and programs are promoted as needed. Reaches out to school districts and parents in the region to expand our school contracts.
- Works as the primary provider of rehabilitation teaching, orientation and mobility services to both adults and children in the regions. Works with the Director of Rehab Clinical Services to access additional rehabilitation programs as needed or additional staffing to meet service demands.
- Works with the VP of Rehabilitation to develop short term CABVI Utica residential options for consumers who need comprehensive service engagement. This would include developing programs enabling CABVI to become a VA choice for rehabilitation.
- Develops and manages a system to secure and track referrals. Analyzes opportunities for added services and or new sources for referrals. Works closely with CABVI’s Outreach and Service Promotion Coordinator conducting independent outreach initiatives, while being respectful of the history of blindness rehabilitation in the regions.
- Conducts comprehensive rehabilitation teaching and orientation and mobility evaluations and assessments, and develops and implements personalized lesson plans. Works closely with CABVI’s Children’s Services Manager to ensure quality of service is maintained and contract obligations fulfilled.
- Provides direct rehabilitation teaching instruction to adults and children, including personal life management, communication, home management, and leisure activities.
- Effectively teaches orientation and mobility to adults and children including: indoor mobility, cane skills, outdoor travel, self-protective techniques and sighted guide. Instruction also includes body and environmental concepts.
- Supervise part time office staff and or volunteers in the Watertown office. Maintains a clear understanding of adaptive equipment and low vision aides both for instruction with adults and in training/supervising the Watertown office staff. Works with CABVI’s Technology Manager to ensure technology needs of all consumers are met. Markets CCTV and other equipment for retail purchase.
- Assists in the development and implementation of local Adaptive Sports and Recreational Programs for children and adults.
- Assists in the recruitment of children specific programming, including camps, pre-vocational and vocational programs. Throughout the rehab department, provides help with staffing programs as needed
- Completes all required documentation in a timely manner.
- Maintains awareness of current academic material and research. Continues professional development in rehabilitation field.
- Adapts to change and completes other duties as assigned.
- Consistently achieves annual performance objectives.
Must have ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from consumers, professionals and the general public. Must be able to write effective plans, reports and correspondence. Must have ability to provide visual cues according to consumer’s visual status. Must have excellent listening skills and the ability to develop confidence and self-esteem.
Must possess basic computer skills and grade I and grade II Braille skills. Must be knowledgeable and remain current with low vision aids and adaptive equipment. Must be knowledgeable in map development and reading, orthopedic prosthetic and cane technique. Must be willing to learn new technology.
Frequently required to talk, hear, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, stoop and kneel. Occasionally must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Position requires stamina for indoor/outdoor training. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the key job elements.
Extensive travel required. Instruction may occur in a variety of environments including consumer’s home or school, CABVI, or the community.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Master’s degree in vision rehabilitation therapy or orientation and mobility plus three years’ experience in provision of direct service. Supervisory experience preferred. Bachelor’s Degree in field of Human Services. ACVREP CVRT and/or COMS certification required. Must meet Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped, Dept. of Special Education, and Dept. of Health personnel standards. Experience with adaptive sports and recreation and children’s recreational programming a plus.
CABVI is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Qualified applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data or any other legally protected status.
Interested candidates please send completed resumes and applications to:
507 Kent Street
Utica, NY 13501
Attention: Julie Byrne