CABVI is seeking a Director of Manufacturing to assist the Senior VP of Manufacturing and Public & Government Affairs with daily operations of Central Industries including employee engagement, production, scheduling, reporting, and personnel responsibilities. The Director of Manufacturing will determine the strategic direction and lead CABVI’s Central Industries production that is housed in two locations in Utica and one in Syracuse.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS
- Determine the strategic direction of CABVI’s central industries production team, plan manufacturing of products, direct processes, and manage with the goal of increased efficiency, and profitability.
- Plans, schedules, and coordinates all production activities, ensuring superior quality and timely delivery of products in all locations.
- Participates in inventory control management.
- Continually researches and implements cost saving methods using modern manufacturing techniques, Lean Six Sigma methodologies, and ISO9001:2015 standards.
- Software proficiency of quality management (ISO), planning (MRP), and scheduling systems.
- Works closely with product development, service development, accounting, and warehousing & distribution, to achieve production and agency goals.
- Work closely in a hierarchy structured environment with all departments at all levels of leadership within the agency. Works with NYS, Federal, and commercial customers. Involvement with the Public Policy Team along with knowledge of AbilityOne and New York State Preferred Source Program mandates and requirements.
- Supervise and manage the production manager, production coordinators, machine operators, material handlers, production workers, and support staff in the smooth execution of projects in three locations. Must set key indicators and evaluate performance.
- Work closely with Quality Department in regards to the Avengers Process Improvement Team, Lean Six Sigma, and ISO 9001:2015
- Manage and set up a structured, process-based system to minimize errors and boost productivity.
- Research, evaluate, and justify new tooling, equipment, and processes that upgrades and promotes a world-class manufacturing environment
- Maintain direct labor operations to remain above the Ability One mandated 75%. Participate as a member of the Public Policy Team and must be involved and knowledgeable of the preferred source program through National Industries for the Blind (NIB) and New York State Preferred Source Program (NYSPSP).
- Serve as a coach and a mentor to the employees under their supervision.
- Work with vocational rehabilitation and human resources to develop, implement, and manage employee improvement, continuing education, individual employee surveys, and development plans for each worker in Central Industries.
- Maintain a relationship with the Advanced Institute of Manufacturing (AIM) and other professional manufacturing organizations to seek concepts that can provide success and provide improvement within manufacturing.
- Establish relationships with manufacturing peers from agencies for the blind and the disabled where best practices can be observed, discussed, benchmarked, and implemented.
- Work with the National Industries for the Blind rehabilitation engineering team to find ways to convert jobs for accessibility and efficiency.
- Adapts to change and completes other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Provides supervision to production manager, production coordinators, direct labor, indirect labor employees, and CABVI manufacturing staff in accordance with CABVI policies and applicable employment laws. Must have the ability to identify, mentor, and grow employees that show upward mobility interest and have the capability. Must have the ability to train, evaluate, reward, and discipline employees. Promptly addresses complaints and resolves problems. Must be able to communicate and enforce new and existing policies and procedures. Manages all manufacturing in the two Utica and Syracuse locations.
Strong employee engagement skills. Must exhibit empathy and apply social service communications with patience, integrity, and fulfillment of the mission. Must be skillful in presenting information and responding to questions from vendors, customers, Central Industries, and CABVI employees. Must write effective objectives and reports. Must have good listening skills and ability to effectively communicate during difficult situations. Must be able to work with all departments within the agency.
Must be able to analyze production related data and spreadsheets and respond accordingly. Work within Macola production and accounting system. Proficient in Microsoft Suite, workforce management software, and Slack. Must embrace new technological additions from accounting, information technology, and payroll. Adapt to change and improvements in the system. Proficient in OSHA, safety mandates, human resources policy requirements, and mandated professional certifications.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS
Regularly required to stand and walk. Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel or crawl. Occasionally may lift up to 50 lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the key job elements. Regularly engaged in conversations with employees and will be constantly interrupted with a litany of topics and issues that requires social interaction at a high level.. Must embrace the agency open door policy.
Challenging and fast paced factories in three locations that employ an integration of legally blind, visually impaired, hearing impaired, and sighted people of a diverse and multi-cultured background. In house position with regular travel to satellite manufacturing in Utica and Syracuse. Noise level is moderate to loud. Must be available for weekend or evening work dependent upon production deadlines. Ability to multi-task and professionally handle all employee engagements.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in a manufacturing or business related discipline with a minimum of ten years of leadership experience or Associates Degree in a manufacturing or business related discipline with a minimum of fifteen years of leadership experience required.
CABVI is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Qualified applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data or any other legally protected status.
Interested candidates please send completed resumes and applications to:
507 Kent Street
Utica, NY 13501
Attention: Julie Byrne