CABVI is seeking a Certified Teacher to provide vision services to preschool and school age children who are blind and visually impaired.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Teach early development and educational skills including: concept development, vision training, compensatory skills, self-help skills, communication skills and socialization skills under the supervision and clinical direction of a Teacher of the Visually Impaired (TVI).
- Implement lessons as specified on the child’s IEP developed by the TVI.
- Instruct students in the use of low vision aids and adaptive equipment.
- Consult, teach and provide support to family members, associated professionals, school districts and other children’s care givers and service providers.
- Represent CABVI in the community at professional, recreational and outreach activities associated with children’s services.
- Complete and submit all required documentation in a timely manner.
- Develop weekly schedules to achieve hourly expectations in a cost effective manner.
- Maintain a reference library of current related materials and acquires information regarding research, development and technology.
- Adapts to change and completes other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors or Masters in Education required. NYS Teaching Certification required (Special Education Certification preferred). Must be willing to pursue Certification as a Teacher of the Visually Impaired. Experience and desire to work with children. Must meet the Department of Special Education and the Department of Health personnel standards.
- Extensive travel required. Instruction may occur in a variety of environments including child’s home or school, CABVI, and the community (mileage reimbursement available).
- Must have ability to effectively present information, and respond to questions from children, parents, professionals and the general public. Must have ability to write effective plans, reports and correspondence. Must be able to give explicit visual cues according to child’s visual status and have ability to develop the child’s confidence and self-esteem. Requires excellent listening skills.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the key job elements.
CABVI offers a generous benefit package and a family friendly work environment. We offer three health insurance plans to choose from along with dental and vision insurance! A 403(b) retirement benefit is offered for this position with employer contributions along with paid time off and holiday pay! We also provide an employer paid life insurance policy along with many other employee sponsored benefits.
Please include salary requirement on cover letter.
CABVI is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Qualified applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data or any other legally protected status.