CABVI also receives donations through the Vehicles for Vision program. Below are details regarding the program and process. If you would like to make an appointment to complete the paperwork, please contact Donna Shelton at donnas@cabvi.org.
Vehicles for Vision accepts donations within a 35-mile radius of greater Utica. It is a large area from Canastota New York in the west to Little Falls in the east, Hamilton in the south to Boonville in the north.

You could get a tax deduction for your car donation to the blind.

    • It does not matter if your vehicle is running, although it’s nice if it is. As long as your car is complete we will take it. What does it mean to be “complete?” All the parts have to be there – radio, radiator, battery, engine, transmission, all body parts in their original place, all the glass intact, all four tires inflated. Body rust and minor accident damage is OK.
    • Let’s talk if your vehicle has MAJOR accident damage.Photo of Mustang automobile being picked up
    • You must have a clear title – or in lieu of a clear title, a title and an original lien release. Please examine the boxes on the front of your title entitled Lien holder. If there is nothing written in these boxes then you have a clear title. If the name of a financial institution or lending agency is in one or more of the boxes then you must obtain an original lien release.We will need at least one set of keys for the door and ignition.
    • You must record the EXACT mileage on a separate sheet of paper and write directions to the location where we can retrieve the car.
    • We also require the social security number of the donor. This is due to tax law requirements.
    • We request that you bring this material to the Central Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired at 507 Kent Street in Utica. For a map see here. Please try to avoid regular mail. If your material gets lost, it will be expensive and time consuming. It’s better to just bring the material in to the office.
    • Many donors ask about tax benefits. Congress changed the law in 2005 with regard to the donation of vehicles. If we sell your vehicle for $500 or more we are required by law to send an IRS Form 1098 C to you within 30 days of the sale. The 1098 C will contain the sale price and you can write that off of your taxes. If your vehicle sells for less than $500, you can write off a fair market value up to $499 without any additional paperwork.Areas We Serve Map For Vehicles For Vision
    • After you submit your paperwork, and we give you your receipt, we will be happy to arrange for the pickup of your vehicle. You will need to remove the license plates from the vehicle. The drivers are not employees of Vehicles for Vision or the Central Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired. They will not provide any paperwork when they arrive to get your car.

The following are some of the areas we serve in Central New York:

If there is a question of yours we have not answered or you would like to set an appointment date for delivering your paperwork, please contact Donna Shelton at donnas@cabvi.org. or call 315-797-2233. You may also use the secure form below to submit your request. Thank you!

* indicates required field
live your vision
Font Resize
Live your vision