One of the greatest challenges for people who are blind and visually impaired in Upstate NY is traveling safely and independently. From navigating a set of stairs, to crossing streets to moving around your home or accessing public transportation, mobility is an essential skill when you are visually impaired.
At CABVI, orientation and mobility professionals teach techniques for determining locations and traveling safely in homes, schools, workplaces and communities.
Instruction in Upstate NY is available in the following areas:
- Indoor travel
- Community travel
- Use of public transportation
- Street crossings
- Sighted guide techniques
- Vision and sensory training
- Use of a cane and other mobility tools
- Route planning
- Spatial and environmental concept development.
CABVI offers other services in Upstate NY for people who are blind & visually impaired:
- How to Access Services?
- Low Vision Care
- Vision Rehabilitation Therapy
- Orientation & Mobility
- Adjusting to Vision Loss
- Children’s Services
- Pre-School Vision Screenings
- Technology Services
- Products for People Who Are Visually Impaired
- Visual Impairment Aids
- Free Services for People Who Are Blind
- Reading Service for People Who Are Blind
The following are some of the areas we serve in Central New York:
Herkimer, New York